I planned on posting a salad recipe today…Then I came to my senses. Maybe I’m wrong in this assumption, but I figured no one wants to see salad the week before Christmas. Don’t worry, I’ll share the salad recipe soon (it’s a goooood one). But once I had THIS epiphany, I was absolutely, positively SURE postponing the salad was the right thing to do. I mean, salad or peppermint almond joy quinoa balls? I rest my case.
The past few weeks have reminded me how much I love baking. At times, baking seems to produce far less failures than cooking. Even though I started this blog with the goal to produce tons and tons of easy and healthy meal recipes, I’m slowly realizing sometimes dessert must come first. I’m sure as I continue my little blogging passion project, my meal recipes will far exceed my sweets recipes.
The holidays are ALWAYS an exception. For everything. Spending $25 at the dollar store on random Christmas decor I don’t need? Yes. Sporting elf pjs all day because I only have a few weeks to wear them? You bet. Playing N’Sync’s Christmas album reminiscing how giddy I felt before the eighth grade Christmas dance? Duh – it’s a classic.
Just because we allow ourselves so many exceptions this time of year, doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t make desserts that are healthy-ish. Combine protein and fiber-rich quinoa with unsweetened coconut flakes, cocoa powder, almond butter, and a ‘lil raw honey, and you have yourself a winning ball. Drizzle some melted chocolate on top with crushed candy canes? A ball more famous than the one dropped on New Years Eve.
These peppermint almond joy quinoa balls are a serious show stopper. Not only are they REALLY pretty, but surprisingly light – not your typical dense chocolate balls. The shredded coconut gives them a similar texture to a coconut macaroon, yet the quinoa gives them some serious depth. With the drizzled chocolate and crushed candy cane topping? That’s one FINE looking ball. Just when you think it can’t taste any better than it looks, prepare for an explosion of chocoaltey, almondy, coconutty, pepperminty flavor.
If you are a fan of desserts that basically taste like Frosty the Snowman invented them, you HAVE to give this one a whirl. Plus what could be prettier? Nothing is prettier. NOTHING.Print
Peppermint Almond Joy Quinoa Balls
- Yield: 8-10 balls 1x
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sub for pure maple syrup)
- 1 egg white
- 1.5 ounces chocolate (milk chocolate or dark)
- 6 mini candy canes or peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Combine quinoa and water into a small pot. Bring the pot of water to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for around 10 minutes, until quinoa is soft (add more water as needed). Be careful not to overcook the quinoa, as it can get mushy.
- Let quinoa cool slightly.
- Combine the coconut, cocoa powder, coconut flour, almond butter, honey, and cooled quinoa in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until it become frothy. This should take a minute or two.
- Fold the egg white into to the mixture.
- Using your hands, form into small balls, condensing the mixture by pressing together first, then gently rolling into a ball.
- Place the balls into the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Using a double boiler on medium/low heat, melt the chocolate, stirring frequently to avoid burning. You can also use a wider pot to simmer water and place a smaller pot on top of the water to sub for a double boiler if you do not have one.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the cooled balls then immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
- Store at room temperature.