When the spirit of the holidays arises, these gluten free peppermint chocolate chip blondies are the perfect baked goodies. Just seven simple ingredients and loaded with rich almond butter, decadent chocolate, and crushed peppermint. Add some crushed pretzels to the top and you’ll take these bars beyond any standard holiday dessert! These are hands-down a winner!
Can’t stop, won’t stop.
The day after Halloween I’m all, “ok where are our Christmas lights – let’s do this!” as my husband rolls his eyes in the back of his head and wonders why he married such a crazed Christmas lunatic.
I can’t help that I bounce around to Mariah Carey on November 1st and start Pinteresting all things pepperminty. I swear you guys, it’s just a part of my genetic makeup. I am just made to be insanely eager for Christmas.
I’m that gal that wishes her tree could be up year round (legit I once told my husband I was thinking of putting it up before Halloween decorating it in purple and black with a witch’s hat on top – he was not amused).
I’m that gal that starts researching Black Friday deals early and just might have a stash of presents already purchased for my peeps before we even think about turkey and pumpkin pie.
I’m that gal that bakes up holiday sweets for all the neighbors before the holidays are even a word in their vocabulary.
And I’m that gal that just might convert you too – especially with these simple peppermint chocolate chip blondies. One bite, and I promise you’ll get in the Christmas spirit too.
But I just need to brag a bit about my latest holiday bars (these are a VERY close favorite to my Paleo Maple Walnut Cookies or my Paleo Christmas Crack). I couldn’t decide between chocolate, peppermint, or pretzel….so I included them all. Because….yolo. And besides, I’m pretty sure Santa will be thrilled with a little variety this time of year.
How could he NOT be?!
Just 7 super simple ingredients are all you need to make these decadently delicious holiday bars. Almond butter not your thing? You can sub for creamy, all-natural peanut butter, pecan butter, or cashew butter. Any nut butter will do!
I used dairy free chocolate chips but you could use any sort of chocolate you prefer. Dark chocolate chunks would work too!
The pretzel topping is optional but OBVIOUSLY amazing so I highly suggest grabbing a bag of gluten free pretzels and crushing a few over the top. I love a crunchy, salty finish to my bars.
You just can’t go wrong with these peppermint chocolate chip blondies my friend (trust me, I’ve made them three times before Thanksgiving) 😉
A grain free, gluten free, dairy free treat no one will even suspect are a healthier alternative to traditional Christmas bars. These babies are a must make for any holiday part, family gathering, or office celebration!
Love peppermint like me? Then you must also try my Paleo Peppermint Fudge, Paleo Peppermint Cheesecake Brownie Bottom Bars, and of course these Peppermint Almond Joy Quinoa Balls.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Blondies (gluten free)
These 7-ingredient gluten free peppermint chocolate chip blondies are a decadent holiday dessert without the dairy, butter, or refined sugar! Made in under 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (the thinner the better)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint + 2 tablespoons (for the top)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips + 1/4 cup (reserved)
- *optional: 1/4 cup crushed gluten free pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, and baking soda. Mix well. The batter should be much thicker than cake batter but not as thick as cookie dough (this will largely depend on how thick the almond butter is). If the batter is too thick, add 1-3 tablespoons almond milk (or milk of choice) to thin it out a bit
- Fold in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and crushed peppermint pieces
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and transfer the mixture
- Use a spatula to gently spread evenly
- Bake f0r 20-22 minutes or until the center is set by testing it with a toothpick. Let cool
- Once bars have cooled, add 1/4 cup chocolate chips to a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 10 second intervals, stirring in between until chocolate has melted
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bars and add remaining crushed peppermint and optional crushed pretzels to top to serve
If using a 9×9 pan, the bars will be much thinner than pictured and may require less baking time. Do not add peppermint or pretzels over the top before baking – save until the end when the bars are cooled.
You can sub the almond butter for all-natural peanut butter, cashew butter, or pecan butter, but it must be on the ‘thinner’ side. Thick nut butters will not yield as great of a result. Make sure you mix the nut butter of choice well, to incorporate all the natural oil found at the top. I let mine sit upside down for 10-15 minutes before opening and stirring.
Leave a Reply