Bribery and blueberries go hand in hand. I vowed I’d never be a parent that used bribery to get my child to do what he’s told, but I also vowed I’d never go out in public not looking presentable, I’d never buy a pair of Tom’s, and I’d never go to bed angry at my husband. The one vow I’ve kept (and probably the one of least importance) is to never skip breakfast. That’s why I love these paleo sweet potato blueberry breakfast bars.
Don’t you laugh at all those things you said you’d never, ever do? Then one day you do them, without even blinking an eye. Let’s be real, sometimes life happens and you need your kid to stop crying while you put your dirty hair in a ponytail and find your almost-hole-in-the-toe slip ons as you walk out the door, swearing under your breath that man better put the dishes in the dishwasher or he’s sleeping in the garage.
One way I always
bribe distract my son when he’s having a complete meltdown is to offer blueberries. Works every time. But usually the joke’s on me when blueberries are insanely expensive – aka out of season.
That’s why there is a lot of disciplinary work that happens in the summertime. I can afford to teach my child what’s right and wrong because blueberries are cheap. Ok I’m kidding, but I KNOW you love getting a big container of those juicy, sweet treats at a fraction of what they normally cost too! I have three POUNDS of them in my refrigerator as we speak – now I’m not kidding.
So when I’ve exhausted all the ‘traditional’ blueberries creations and need a little something different, I make these paleo sweet potato blueberry breakfast bars.
Ok so they are more sweet potato based than blueberry, BUT this combo is deeeeeeelish. A moist and crumbly sweet potato blondie-like base with a baked-in, juicy, and squishy blueberry top means breakfast is dessert and there’s not one bit of shame in that game. For realz – no refined sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no junk, and no hundred-dolla bills worth of blueberries.
Grab and go breakfast bars take all the excuses out of skipping the most important meal of the day. And why not pack a good dose of antioxidants and vitamins a, c, and k while you can? IF you feel like sharing, serve these to the little ones for breakfast, or any time of day to get all those essential nutrients in their tiny (sometimes gremlin-like) bodies.
Making paleo sweet potato blueberry breakfast bars are a cinch. All you need are a few basic ingredients like sweet potatoes, almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, raw honey, coconut oil, an egg, and of course blueberries. Mix, bake, eat. Simple as
Paleo Sweet Potato Blueberry Breakfast Bars
- Yield: 12
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roast or microwave one large sweet potato until soft. Scoop out the inside and reserve 3/4 cup
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed sweet potato, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil, raw honey, and egg
- Add the almond meal, coconut flour, and baking powder. Mix well
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and pour in the batter, pushing it into all the corners and middle of the pan to avoid large air bubbles. Smooth out the top
- Place the blueberries in a single layer on the top and gently press the berries into the batter
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the middle is set
- Let cool and cut into small bars. Serve immediately or refrigerate to store