Chocolate. Willpower. Those two words can never be in the same sentence unless the word NO is between them. Chocolate = no willpower. But these holiday treats are a healthy, nut free, and so ridiculously rich and decadent dessert that you’ll accept the no willpower thing. Paleo hot cocoa cookies? Yes, plu-lease!
I’m not gonna lie, I love chocolate. I especially love chocolate in cookies. And, if those chocolate cookies are around during the holidays? Well, I’m done for! Let’s face it, cookies are a ‘cozy’ food. They’re just so delicious, and make you feel all warm and fuzzy instead. Am I right or am I right?! And, let us not forget how the house smells when cookies are baking! Hea-ven-ly!
Even in California, where it’s never anything close to the midwest winters I grew up in, fresh baked chocolate cookies can get me into the holiday spirit in about 0.3 seconds, even without snow and temperatures below freezing.
Paleo Hot Cocoa Cookies
These paleo hot cocoa cookies will make you want to snuggle under a warm blanket in front of a roaring fire with loved ones. The sound of holiday music in the background, children laughing and playing quietly together like little angels (insert slight sarcastic tone there), and the glowing fire crackling in the background…holiday magic people.
I know the holidays are the season of giving, but here’s the real deal on holiday generosity – DON’T touch my COOKIES! You may be enjoy sharing sweet treats with friends and family but . me? I’ll be hiding behind the fridge hoarding all the paleo hot cocoa cookies so I don’t have to share with my hubby and kids.
Well, I guess I could make a double batch and share a few. It is the holidays after all.
Seriously though, these paleo hot cocoa cookies made with a tahini base and packed full of rich cocoa flavor are perfect for holiday cookie exchanges, holidays parties, or eating so many after everyone is asleep you feel sick to your stomach (hypothetically speaking of course!)
Paleo Holiday Treats
Be sure to check out more paleo holiday treats that are gluten free and dairy free, but you wouldn’t even know it! Paleo Maple Walnut Cookies, Paleo Christmas Crack, Peppermint Almond Joy Quinoa Balls, Soft and Chewy Paleo Gingerbread Cookies, and these Paleo Peppermint Cheesecake Brownie Bottom Bars.
Paleo Hot Cocoa Cookies
These Paleo Hot Cocoa Cookies will make you want to curl up by the fire. They’re chocolatey, just sweet enough and happen to be nut, gluten, grain and dairy free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 cookies
- ¼ cup tahini
- ½ cup date sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 room temperature eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Beat together the tahini and date sugar or coconut sugar
- Mix in the eggs, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Mix the dry mixture into the wet until everything is well incorporated
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper and scoop about tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the sheet. If you’d like, press down the cookies a bit with a bottom of a glass to help them spread
- Place in the oven and back for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy
Recipe inspiration by Physical Kitchness. Created and photographed by Miss Allie’s Kitchen