Beans beans the magical fruit…But beans have no place in this magical recipe! A bean-less hummus you ask? Yep, and you’ll never miss ’em. Take your traditional thoughts on hummus and throw them out the window, because this no-bean roasted carrot hummus is the most beanless-tastic dip you’ll ever eat.
Hummus is one of those things I ate WAAAAAY too much in my early 20’s. In fact, at times the smell has made me gag. Have you ever done that to yourself? Discovered this amazing, best food ever/must-eat-it-all-the-time until you completely overdo it and never want to look at it again? This has only happened to me a few times in life. Hummus being one. Goldschlager being the other (Ugh college. Seriously why?!)
It wasn’t until my husband and I tried a carrot hummus at our favorite pre-baby restaurants (back when we could go out whenever we felt like it), that I allowed hummus to find a place back into my heart. This restaurant was a pizza joint, that served carrot hummus. Like, WHAAA?! You KNOW that hummus must be good stuff when they have it on the menu at a pizza place. And it was good. GOOD good. Like sometimes we’d go there just for the hummus kind of good.
One cross-country move, one baby, and a few years later, I forgot about our favorite creamy dip. Until one day it hit me – I must make our old fav. But even better, I must make it for all my paleo and Whole30 peeps…aka sans the beans. It was a task that wouldn’t be easy, but I was up for the challenge.
You’ll never miss the beans with this no-bean roasted carrot hummus. Let me convince you.
Roasting the carrots gives this bean-less hummus such a complex, slightly sweet taste, and combined with roasted caramelized cauliflower, nutty tahini, and the classic components of traditional hummus? A killer combination that rivals the regular garbanzo bean stuff.
What I also love about this hummus (aside that it’s delicious on raw vegetables, chips, chicken, and my finger), is the light texture. Kiss the old paste-like hummus goodbye and replace it with this airy, fluffy, whipped goodness.
When traditional hummus has you feeling same ol, same ol – give THIS version a whirl!Print
No Bean Roasted Carrot Hummus
- Yield: 1 1/2 - 2 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds whole carrots (about 6 large carrots)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, halved and divided
- 1/2 head of small cauliflower, roughly 2 1/2 cups
- 1/8 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees.
- Line the whole carrots and cauliflower florets on a large baking sheet and coat 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Cook for 45-55 minutes or until carrots and cauliflower are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Place all remaining ingredients, the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store in the refrigerator.