I wonder if it’s possible to brainwash a child? It’s operation “get-toddler-excited-for-football-season” in this house. I’m not sure if it will work, but we’re hoping our experiment will prove successful. Because football is everything. Ok maybe not everything – football grub is everything. As are these honey tequila lime chicken drummies.
Yeah we are crazy football people. I’m not afraid to admit it. When the sound of Carrie floods the house and Al Michaels’ voice gives you goosebumps, you know it’s going to be a good day. FACT – my husband and I are so crazy about this sport that we “gifted” NFL Sunday Ticket to each other for an early Christmas gift. It’s unconventional, but it’s us.
want need our children to love the game like we do. We’ve been hyping it up all summer to our toddler – football this and football that. “Buddy, can you say touchdown?!” “Should we watch some fooooootball?!?!” “Say YAAAAAY Go Pack Go!” (that last one is all me, since my hubby is a Vikings fan – bleh). We need to brainwash this kid to enjoy Sundays of game-watching, because when kickoff happens we simply can’t be bothered.
The only excuse to pause a game is of course, for the snack breaks. Football snacks are unlike any other snacks, they’re are in a league of their own. Cheesy, greasy, carby, hearty. Yup that sums it up. Amidst all the tempting junk food and naughty temptation, there are these honey tequila lime chicken drummies. All the football snacking pleasure without the insane caloric gut bomb.
Just picture this – sinking your teeth into these tender chicken drumsticks, with the bold flavors of tequila and lime marinated into the meat, then finished with sweet honey glaze. It will make anyone want to break out their finest touchdown celebratory dance. And these are sooooo simple to make. Just marinate the chicken overnight, throw on the grill, brush with honey and wham bam thank you ma’am you’ve got yourself a WINNING football snack or main dish the whole team will love.
It took all the willpower in the world not to want to chug that sweet smellin’ lime/tequila marinade (it smells like a margarita). Maybe it’s because I have a toddler and a newborn and my need for alcohol seems dire right now. BUT I didn’t drink it – I let these chicken dummies have all the fun while I pretended my ice water had magic powers to energize my sleep-deprived state.
Grab that bottle of tequila sitting in your cabinet, get some limes, honey, and fresh cilantro and make these honey tequila lime chicken drummies asap. Just don’t drop one on your beloved Aaron Rodgers jersey…
What’s your favorite game-watching snack?
Honey Tequila Lime Chicken Drummies
- Yield: 12 drummies 1x
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 12 drumsticks)
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro + 2 tablespoons (divided)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks
- Combine the tequila, lime juice, olive oil, paprika, garlic, and cilantro and pour into a large freezer bag. Add the chicken drumsticks and keep the bag into the refrigerator overnight
- Place the drumsticks on the grill over medium/high heat (roughly 400 degrees) and let cook for 10 minutes
- As the chicken is cooking, microwave the honey for 10 seconds (if it is in a solid state)
- Flip the drumsticks after the 10 minute mark, then brush the honey on the cooked side of the chicken. Let cook an additional 10 minutes then brush honey on the other side of the cooked chicken
- Garnish with an additional 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro