Holiday munchies are the death of me. Why why why do treats need to be out and in full display 24/7? My wandering eyes can’t stop. But this healthy protein moose munch treat is one I can snack on without feeling that post-holiday, over-eating ‘bleh’. Not only is this healthier version of a holiday favorite made with simple, natural ingredients, it’s packed with protein to keep my belly full and my hands out of the cookie jar.
My first job out of college was for a small agency that worked on various accounts, one being Harry & David – you know, the makers of “Moose Munch”. There were always samples and packages of moose munch all over the office. I also had a co-worker who worked for Hershey prior to joining our team – so his office was always stashed with chocolate in every form, every flavor. Oh, and sometimes when we’d have office meetings, they’d cater in warm chocolate chips cookies. Basically this place was a woman’s dream and nightmare all at the same time.
By woman I mean chocoholic. But aren’t all women? Maybe it’s just me, but put me in a room of skittles, gummy bears, and pixie sticks and I’m like, ‘meh’. But put me in a room with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate and watch the lioness destroy her prey. You get the point – chocolate is my weakness.
My other weakness (aside from little brown-eyed boys and red wine) is popcorn. Hands down the hardest thing I gave up when completing the Whole30 program was my evening movie-watching popcorn snacky snack. Luckily I don’t even think about completing Whole30 during the holidays. Some people do it – good on you. But this lady just can’t.
So moose munch and all its glory shall be had this holiday season. However, this is a totally healthier version that’s packed with protein, without sacrificing the decadent flavor! Plus it’s so insanely simple to make – no baking or stove required.
Wait, what? Protein moose munch? Yeah, it’s a thing…starting now. And it’s only five ingredients. Mind.Blown.
Next time you’re invited to a cookie-baking party, bring the goodies for this protein moose munch and watch the looks of confusion and amazement. Going Black Friday shopping? Power up with some serious protein and energy-fueling nuts. Watching a marathon of Elf on ABC Family? Time to bust out the perfect popcorn treat. You get the picture – it’s the holiday staple that is just as important as wrapping paper.
My friends at Vital Proteins sent me their cocoa and coconut water collagen whey to create this epic holiday treat of amazingness. I love their squeaky clean list of ingredients and whopping 27 grams of protein per serving. I wasn’t kidding when I said PROTEIN moose munch peeps! Just combine two scoops of Vital Proteins collagen whey with three tablespoons of melted coconut oil and three teaspoons raw honey. That’s ALL you need for this sweet chocolate drizzle topped over popcorn and almonds.
And just for some extra flair, I reserved one cup of popcorn for the best part of the healthy protein moose munch. You’re dying to know, aren’t you? DUH, more chocolate. I just can’t get enough drizzle on every bite, so I made a ‘lil bit more melted chocolate protein then dumped the popcorn into that liquid decadence and tossed well to evenly coated every delicate kernel. BOOM. The perfect blend of sweet and crunchy.
Snacking healthy, without tasting healthy? That might be the key to the holidays this season!Print
Healthy Protein Moose Munch
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
For chocolate drizzle
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Cocoa and Coconut Water Collagen Whey
- 3 teaspoons raw honey
For chocolate coating
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Cocoa and Coconut Water Collagen Whey
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the popcorn and almonds on top in an even layer
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave until it’s completely liquid (this should only take roughly 20 seconds)
- Add the collagen whey and raw honey to the melted coconut oil. Quickly stir until combined and drizzle all over the popcorn and almonds
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator to cool the chocolate drizzle completely – around 10 minutes
- Once popcorn the coating is chilled and set, make the additional chocolate to coat the mixture
- Melt the coconut oil and add the additional scoop of collagen whey and raw honey
- Scoop one cup of the popcorn mixture and pour into the liquid chocolate. Quickly stir to coat and pour back on to the baking sheet
- Let chill again until chocolate hardens
- Serve straight from the refrigerator (cooled)
This post is sponsored by the awesome people at Vital Proteins. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting Physical Kitchness!