A summer side dish with a kick – this gluten free southwest pasta salad is a fantastic addition to any picnic or BBQ. Made with simple ingredients and packed with BIG flavor, this easy salad can be made with any gluten free pasta salad of choice!
Guys, I am so pumped to share this post with you. It’s a big step for me: 1. I’m letting someone ELSE post a bomb recipe on Physical Kitchness (someone that totally gets busy mom life, makes delicious food, and takes amazing photos) and 2. it’s pasta salad – HELLO who doesn’t love a good pasta salad?
This gluten free Southwest pasta salad is the perfect side dish to bring to the table, it’s slightly spicy with those beloved Southwest spices – a little hint of lime combined with creamy avocado. Seriously, this gluten free Southwest pasta salad will become your go-to for each picnic or potluck you attend this summer.
So without further ado, introducing Ana from anaankeny.com!
I’m so excited to be sharing a recipe with you guys today! I’m Ana, a new food blogger just bubbling over with ideas of new recipes to share, always gluten & dairy free with a side of paleo and Whole30. As a mom to four boys (9,7,5 & 2) I get the whole busy mom-thing…oh, do I ever. So making quick and healthy meals is my number one goal. And I’m loving sharing them with you.
Do you ever just crave a simple meal like pasta? All the kids are always asking for tacos, but you know that will result in taco meat, cheese, and salsa on the floor (is it a boy thing to be a messy eater or just a kid thing?). So you meet them in the middle and whip up this super quick and simple gluten free Southwest pasta salad – all their favorite “taco” spices complete with corn, avocado, and fresh cilantro. Plus the floor stays clean!
I’ve found that if I’m serving this one to younger kids, I leave out the red pepper flakes – they tend to be a little too spicy for their young palates. I like to sprinkle just a few on my husband’s and my plate before we eat. But if bringing it to a big family picnic, I mix them right in and everyone loves that little extra kick of spice.
Pasta salads are so simple since you can make them the day before, they don’t get soggy overnight, they travel well in a cooler, and it’s served cold so no need to try and re-heat! I know what I’ll be bringing to the Fourth of July family picnic.
This gluten free Southwest pasta salad is definitely going on rotation at the Physical Kitchness house – as will be Ana’s Instagram account and website. Be sure to check her out and follow her below!
Gluten Free Southwest Pasta Salad
Gluten Free Southwest Pasta Salad is a perfect summer side with a kick. Made with healthy, simple ingredients.
- 1 (12 ounce) box gluten-free noodles of choice
- ½ cup canned full-fat coconut milk (or mayo of choice)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup green onions, diced
- Cook noodles according to package. Strain and place in a glass bowl; put in fridge to begin cooling.
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut milk (or mayo if substituting) with all spices. Pour over noodles once they are cooled. With a large wooden spoon or spatula slowly stir to distribute sauce over all the noodles.
- Add the corn, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Fold together once more.
- Serve chilled. If serving later, wait to add the avocado until right before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 5 days.