When you need the perfect comfort-food recipe to feed a crowd, it’s this dairy free creamy corn casserole. Made without cheese, cream, grains, or soy! Enjoy a warm and delicious side dish that everyone will love.
I admit, I have a love affair with corn.
Popcorn, tortilla chips, and corn side dishes with dinner. Get it all in maaaa bellllly.
I know sometimes corn gets a bad rap, but if you’re a home-grown gal like me and love corn no matter what anyone says, then you’ll love this dairy free creamy corn casserole.
Because no one with a lactose issue should miss out on creamed corn. NO ONE.
But we gotta get a little scrappy if we want to recreate that creamy, cheesy base that everyone loves but not everyone’s tummy can handle.
How to recreate the dairy base
So the the first step is this homemade dairy free ‘sour cream’
All it takes is four ingredients: raw cashews, coconut cream, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar.
Blend until creamy then set aside. *I love my Ninja blender/food processor for smaller jobs like this!
Next this recipe calls for condensed cream of celery soup. Buuuuut if you know anything about store-bought condensed soups, not only are they packed with a bunch of ingredients ya probably can’t pronounced…you guessed it – dairy too.
That’s why this recipe has a version you can recreate at home in a cinch!
After that it’s as easy as assembling the ingredients and pouring a a big ‘ol pan to get ready for it’s warm and cozy session in the oven.
I even added some nutritional yeast to mimic that rich, cheesy flavor that traditional casseroles like this dump in.
25 minutes later and you’ve got a pipin’ hot dairy free side dish that screams comfort food with every bite.
Gluten Free & Vegan
So you can dazzle the family get-together with a dairy free, gluten free (and vegan) dish NO one would suspect. It’s my favorite kind of trickery!
Pro Tip: Make this dish ahead by assembling ahead of time. Simply make the ‘sour cream’, condensed cream of celery, and throw together with the rest of the ingredients. Then store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before you eat. When ready, bake and serve!
Be sure to try these other healthier (dairy free) side dishes for your next get together too! Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Mash, Honey Thyme Roasted Root Vegetables with Bacon, and Pomegranate Brussels Sprouts Salad with Paleo Poppyseed Dressing.Print
Dairy Free Creamy Corn Casserole
This dairy free creamy corn casserole is also a gluten free and vegan dish that will serve a crowd!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 servings 1x
Dairy Free Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (full fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Condensed Creamy of Celery
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk (unflavored, unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (can sub for tapioca flour)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cans sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper of choice
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make the dairy free sour cream by soaking raw cashews for at least 2 hours in water. Drain the water then combine all ingredients in a small blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Set aside
- Next, make the condensed cream of celery by adding 1 cup celery plus olive oil to a medium pan over medium-high heat. Sauté for roughly 8 minutes until celery is soft and fragrant (turn down heat if celery starts to char). Add the almond milk and let simmer another 5 minutes.
- Combine the arrowroot powder and water, mixing well before adding it to the pan. Remove immediately from heat and whisk well until mixture thickens. Then add the salt and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, onion, celery, pepper, nutritional yeast, salt, and lemon juice. Add in the dairy free sour cream and condensed cream of celery, then mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish
- Bake for 25 minutes until hot and bubbly
- *Option: add crushed butter crackers to the top of desired once baking is finished OR shredded dairy-free cheese to top.
Leave a Reply