What’s love got to do with cupcakes? Everything (duh). And these black forest avocado cupcakes are the perfect way to say “I love you” and “I want what’s best for your body”. I know, it sounds a little weird, but no one has to know what your true intentions are…or that these decadent treats are paleo, grain free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
Cupcakes. They’re everywhere. TV shows, down main street, and all over my Pinterest feed. I don’t NOT like cupcakes, but I also don’t totally love them. Like, aren’t they just glorified muffins with way more sugar and icing that makes you go into a sweet-induced coma?
Is it just me or are cupcakes overrated?
I remember standing in line for hours (ok it was more like 15 minutes) at a famous cupcake shop in Georgetown when my husband and I were first dating. I insisted we stop at this place, convincing him it would change our life. He wasn’t (and still isn’t) a big cupcake fan but at the time of new love, he pretty much obliged to any of my requests.
Oh why does that have to end?! #marriage
Long story short, those cupcakes were good but not like, OH EM GEEEE this is the greatest thing ever. And quite frankly, I felt like the icing was just too much.
So when I sought out to make my own cupcake recipe, I knew exactly what I wanted. 1. Naturally sweetened only with fruit yet still decadent 2. a healthy yet delicious treat – one I didn’t feeling sick after eating.
Introducing black forest avocado cupcakes
Black Forest Avocado Cupcakes
Sweetened with classic black cherries and that deep cocoa flavor – oh MAN I should open my own cupcake shop (jk, this is my first cupcake recipe ever). Plus a little punch of ‘healthy’ with rich avocado.
And of course we gotta top these babies with a ‘lil whipped black cherry coconut cream RIGHT?!?!
These black forest avocado cupcakes are the perfect treat for your loved ones, and no standing line required. Simple ingredients make up these paleo desserts you can whip up in less than a half hour.
Give your family the treats that say “I love you” and “eat these healthy things that you don’t need to know are healthy” today!
Need more loving desserts to fill your cup? Try this Paleo Chocolate Brownie Skillet Cake, or Guilt-Free Raw Lemon Strawberry Cheesecake, these Almond Butter Strawberry Zucchini Muffins, and of course Flourless ‘Red Velvet’ Beet Mini Muffins.Print
Black Forest Avocado Cupcakes
These black forest avocado cupcakes are naturally sweetened and packed with rich cherry and cocoa flavor. Paleo, grain free, and a dairy free. Topped with a rich coconut black cherry whipped ‘icing’
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup frozen pitted dark cherries (about 24 cherries), thawed
- 1 small haas avocado
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond milk (or sub for light coconut milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
Coconut Whipped Topping
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated (you’ll need 1/4 of the cream at the top of the can for the whipped topping)
- 12 additional thawed dark cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place the thawed dark cherries (strain any extra juice) in a blender and add the eggs, avocado, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and honey. Blend just until combined, about 10 seconds
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the dry ingredients. Mix well to incorporate
- Pour the batter into 12 greased muffin liners, about 2/3 to the top
- Bake for 25 minutes, until center is set
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, add start the coconut whip topping
- Pat dry the remaining thawed cherries to ensure there is no excess moister. Puree the cherries and set aide
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the chilled coconut cream from the top of the can. Beat until light and fluffy then gently fold in the cherry puree
- Chill coconut whip another 20-30 minutes before topping the cupcakes. Frost the cupcakes just before serving
*Top cupcakes with the chilled coconut chip right before serving. The whipped topping needs to stay chilled or it will slowly get runny