This 20 minute sweet potato chicken chili is a meal time staple when you have mouths to feed in so little time. A paleo friendly, Whole30 compliant, simple recipe that is steeping with flavor and sure to win the whole family over.
Confession: I have days that I dread cooking.
Yes, I know, a food blogger not wanting to cook is quite the oxymoron.
Hear me out. Last week I had just about -257 desire to cook after coming home from a long day. To my defense, my butt had been planted in a coffee shop for the majority of the day. After chatting on multiple conference calls, writing upcoming blog posts, designing pins, creating new content for my membership site, Club Kitchness, and suppressing multiple mental breakdowns every time the wifi decided to be anything but decent – I was ready for bed. Or wine. Or both.
I should also note that it was a rainy day in sunny California, which normally I love, but this day was different. Upon walking in the door, I just wanted to nestle up, watch an episode of This is Us, turn my phone on silent, and zone out.
I’m certain there are other mommas that have felt like this. Cheers to mommas that still attack that kitchen when they would rather do just about anything else than cook.
As soon as my bottom merely brushed the couch, the sound of the garage opening was apparent. Within seconds my kiddos were running into the house with art projects in hand and arms stretched out for a hug. My mood seemed to instantly change – but I was still dreading the whole kitchen thang. However, my heart was full and I knew I needed to whip up something quick for these little love muffins.
This 20 minute sweet potato chicken chili was a LIFE SAVER for hungry tummies and a momma that just wanted a breakup from her kitchen. She didn’t even want to be on speaking terms.
With a perfect blend of chili spices, diced sweet potatoes, and ground chicken the whole family loved. An added bonus? It’s paleo and Whole30 compliant. Un-kitchen-motivated mommas, it’s all worth it when your little one says “dis is yummy momma!”
To ensure this chili recipe comes together in 20 minutes, I HIGHLY ADVISE chopping the sweet potato and dicing the onion beforehand, and storing in the refrigerator. It’s one of this small meal prep hacks that make a BIG difference creating quick, stress-free meals!
Here are a few other quick-and-easy recipes clutch during the weekday dinnertime frenzy. Easy Sheet Pan BLT Chicken, Whole30 Instant Pot Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin, Tomato Basil Bisque with Italian Meatballs, and this 20 Minute Whole30 Orange Chicken.Print
20 Minute Sweet Potato Chicken Chili
This easy, 20 minute sweet potato chicken chili is a paleo + Whole30 compliant meal perfect for busy weekdays. Chop a few elements beforehand to meal prep and make this meal in just 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato *the smaller chopped sweet potato pieces, the faster they will cook
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1 pounds ground chicken
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 diced jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To ensure meal comes together in 20 minutes, it is highly advised to chop the sweet potatoes and dice the yellow onion beforehand and store in the refrigerator until ready. These elements can be stored 2-3 days
- Heat a large pan over medium-high and add the ground chicken, chopped sweet potato, and diced onion
- Break up the ground chicken and brown for 5-7 minutes, until fully cooked
- As chicken is browning add the can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced jalapeño, diced red pepper, and spices to a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat
- Once ground chicken has cooked throughout, add to the pot of liquid and turn heat down slightly to a rolling simmer. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes have softened
- Serve with more diced jalapeño or sliced avocado
Prep the sweet potatoes and onion beforehand to save on time and ensure this meal comes together in 20 minutes