Savory or sweet in the morning? It’s that age old question along with “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” and “are there clean clothes in the laundry (?) because I have no underwear…” Even if you sleep in the buff, this paleo zucchini brownie biscotti will have you rushing out of bed for your chocolate and coffee fix.
I typically opt for savory breakfasts. Not because I don’t DROOL once in awhile over the thought of french toast swimming in syrup, because this apple, sweet potato, brussels breakfast hash, these paleo pizza egg cups, or this caramelized onion butternut squash crustless quiche are not only delicious and filling in the morning, but packed with some rockin’ nutrient power foods.
BUUUUUT here’s the thing…a guilty vice if you will. I totally dig chocolate in the morning. I like pretty much anything sweet paired with my a.m. coffee, but chocolate and coffee together is like MIC DROP, HIGH KICK, SUPERSTAR, KARATE CHOP amazing. Is there anything better?
Ok maybe there are a few things better. Like stopping at the exact dollar on the first try when filling your car with gas. Or snuggling into freshly-washed sheets on your bed. Or that bra that makes your super small boobs look normal-sized. You know what, scratch all that. I’m sticking to chocolate and coffee is the best thing ever. Debate me if you must, but I will win.
So when I started this culinary creation, I didn’t anticipate accidentally creating the most rockin’ combo of crunchy outside, soft inside, optional coffee-dunking amazingness. But it happened. And I’m kissing traditional tooth-breaking hard biscottis off forever. A brownie biscotti in the the morning that’s paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar free? Yes, it’s finally here. #thewaitisover
And THEY ARE MADE WITH ZUCCHINI! Sorry but I had to caps that. Yeah, this seemingly naughty breakfast indulgence is made with all healthy goodness.
You can choose not to broil these babies before consuming, but if you want the BEST combo of a crunchy outside with an ultra moist inside, take the time to do this step. It’s well worth it. And it makes it sort of more official biscotti rather than just brownie. But hey, you can eat it in batter form for all I care. And if you are craving EXTRA chocolate, feel free to add some dark chocolate chips in there. I won’t judge.
So come on, indulge with me. Indulge without the negative connotation associated with indulging, because you can feel good about this chocolate breakfast treat. And because nothing is better than eating healthy sweets that don’t taste ‘healthy’. But REALLY…nothing is better than this paleo zucchini brownie biscotti (with coffee of course).
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- dash of salt
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Shred the zucchini using a cheese grater or food processor. Pour the grated zucchini into a mesh strainer and sprinkle with salt. Set the strainer in the sink so the the moisture from the zucchini can drain, about 10 minutes
- In the meantime, combine the coconut flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl
- Once 10 minutes have passed, press the zucchini into the mesh strainer, trying to strain out any additional liquid. You can also squeeze large handfuls of the zucchini with your hands to strain
- Pour the shredded zucchini into the bowl of dry ingredients, then add the maple syrup and the egg
- Stir well to combine
- Pour the mixture into a greased glassed loaf pan. Flatten out the top and place into the oven
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the center is cooked through
- Let cool, then slice into 2" thick slices. Carefully lift each slice from the pan
- Store in the refrigerator. Once ready to serve, turn the oven broiler to low and place the slice(s) on a baking sheet
- Broil for 5 minutes, then flip and broil another 5 minutes. Watching carefully so the slices turn burn but get slightly crispy on the outside