I’ve become pretty efficient in five minute segments since having a child. I can now shower in five minutes, I can eat in five minutes, I can even make an appointment with the dog groomer, run out and get the mail, chop veggies for dinner, and do 30 pushups in five minutes (ok maybe 20 pushups). I can also whip up this paleo strawberry mug cake in five minutes.
When upcoming summa summa summa tiiiiime has me craving something fresh and fruity, this mug cake is just the ticket. Because sometimes JUST fruit doesn’t hit the spot like light and fluffy cake.
CAKE! Remember like 20 years ago when cake was a regular thing? Birthday parties were a weekly rotation, cake doughnuts after church were a given, and you were a childhood hero if you convinced mom and dad to buy those ice cream ones with the crunchy cookie bottom from DQ.
Then something changes and suddenly you’re always passing on cake. And it’s sad. But you don’t know it’s actually sad until you reflect on it like this, and then you get kinda depressed about it. And suddenly you just REALLY want some cake again. Don’t fret my friend. That’s why the mug cake was created.
There are A LOT of mug cake recipes out there (if you haven’t noticed). I swear I see a new one on Pinterest every day. THIS paleo strawberry mug cake though – it’s soooo ‘healthy-loving, portioned-controlled’ adult and ‘fun and fruity, cake-addicted’ kid all in one.
The best part is it takes five minutes to make. And although I do tote my amazingly efficient time management skills, I will admit I could never make a ‘normal’ strawberry cake in five minutes.
Simply puree the strawberries in a small food processor, add the honey and coconut oil, then pour the mixture into a mug and stir in one large egg.
Next, add the dry ingredients, mix well to combine, then microwave for three minutes. Finally, watch the amazing batter rise and bake then feel free to shove your face with a light, strawberry, paleo mug cake that’s totally worth five minutes of your time.
Let it cool FULLY or else you’ll burn your little tongue off – this mug cake will be hot. It might be the most tortured five-ish (or more) minutes ever, but I promise the wait is worth it!
- 6 large strawberries
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (or more if you want more sweetness)
- 1½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons + 1½ teaspoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Cut the green tops off 6 strawberries and place in to a small food processor or blender
- Combine the raw honey and coconut oil in a small, microwavable bowl. Microwave 5-10 seconds, until the oil and honey is slightly melted, then add to the food processor
- Pulse or blend until well combined
- Pour the mixture into a large mug and add the large egg. Mix well
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder to the mug. Mix until everything is well combined
- Microwave for 3 minutes
- Cake will be VERY hot so let cool before consuming
- Optional - top with slices of fresh strawberries