I’m never up to speed with the latest trends. My closet is dated, my hair has been the same style for 10+ years, and I listen to old country western music (no really, I do. Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings are my buds). The only trends I follow are foodie fads – I must taste and try it all! And right now, balls are all the rage. So naturally I had to make a ball so delicious, so snack-worthy, it would rival all other balls. These are paleo carrot cake energy balls.
Rewind for a second. Who ever thought of carrot cake? Like what kind of though process went in to that?
“Hmmm I shall make a cake, but not just any cake. A cake made with a root vegetable!” Whoever this crazy person is, he/she had a stroke of brilliance.
Someone else came along and said, “I shall make a snack, but this snack shall be round. And from now until eternity, these round snacking balls can be customized and people will rejoice and make millions of little balls with millions of ingredient variations!” Also pretty dang smart.
Then I came along and one day I mumbled, “My snacks are boring. Hmmm…maybe I’ll throw together some balls. Balls that are sweet yet healthy, adult and toddler-approved.” Then I raised the roof (that’s still cool to do, right?)
Not only are these paleo carrot cake energy balls the perfect snack on the go, they are great for a healthy treat packed with vitamins A and K and antioxidants. So snack on them when you have two hours before lunch and your stomach is yelling, pop them in ‘yo mouth for an afternoon treat, or grab a few as pre-workout fuel.
Snacking never ever goes out of style. And habitual snackers like myself need to mix it up to avoid a clinically recognized condition called SBS (snack boredom syndrome). It can lead to crabbiness, emergency frozen yogurt trips, and later…regret.
So don’t get stuck in a rut or fall behind the foodie trendsetters. Instead, make a solid batch of these paleo and family-friendly delights asap. Although I found them to be the perfect sweetness, double the raw honey if you have a major sweet tooth!
- 1 cup baby carrots - shredded finely
- ¾ c pecans
- 1 egg white
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Shred the baby carrots and pecans in a food processor or blender, and pour into a medium bowl
- Whisk egg white until frothy then add to bowl
- Add the cinnamon, raw honey, coconut flour, and ground flaxseed
- Mix well until thoroughly combined
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using your hands, take a small amount of the mixture (about 1½ - 2 tablespoons) and condense the mix. Then gently roll into a ball form
- Bake the balls for 12-15 minutes