Shoutout to all the grocery stores that offer free samples – I’ll try anything they offer me. Granola? Mmm crunchy! Sausage? Hey, why not. Pie? Not even a question. Wine? Bless you Trader Joe’s!! It wasn’t until I tried something so simple, so flavor-winning, that I realized my grocery sampling could lead to bigger and better things. And the inspiration for these cilantro pesto chicken wraps.
Luckily those sweet Costco employees don’t judge me when I run back and forth between the rolling carts of free food like Will Ferrel taking handed-out street fliers in the movie Elf. “…Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!…”
I have no shame in my game. And when I bring my 18-month old sidekick with me, it’s just that much more acceptable to grab two of everything (for me). “No honey, you don’t want this, it’s ucky.”
Maybe I’ve been living under a rock, or maybe this is as new to me as it is to you, but one fine Costco-sampling day I tried cilantro pesto on a piece of naan bread that pretty much blew my mind. Where has this been all my life? Who has been hiding this from me? Can I dive head first into this goodness and eat my way out? So of course I buy the pack of 86 containers (ok maybe it was just three).
Months later, after all my prepackaged pesto was consumed, I had an itch for that fresh pesto once again. So I created a killer lunch using a leftover chicken breast and a homemade version of the cilantro best-o…I mean pesto.
These cilantro pesto chicken wraps are incredibly easy and simple to throw together in a lunchtime snap. Plus they are paleo, Whole30 compliant, low-carb, and full of lean protein. SCORE! Lunchtime doesn’t get better than that, unless you swing over to the grocer next door and eat your way through every aisle for lunch. Not that I’ve ever done anything so class-less…
The fresh bite of cilantro, combined with an olive oil and lime base, mixed with the robust flavors of pine nuts smothered all over shredded chicken, all nestled into a few crunchy romaine lettuce leaves pretty much sums up lunchtime heaven, does it not?
Feel free to add whatever other ‘fillers’ you like. I chose matchstick carrots for an extra crunch. You could add sautéed sweet peppers, red onions, diced tomatoes, or nothing additional at all. Just don’t forget the pesto!
- ½ cup cilantro (about ½ bunch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- Additional add-ins: matchstick carrots, broccoli slaw, sweet peppers, red onions, diced tomatoes, etc.
- Cook the chicken breast if raw and shred the meat. Set aside
- Meanwhile, place the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, sea salt, and pine nuts in a small food processor. Pulse until you get achieve the desired consistency
- Combine the pesto with the shredded chicken and mix until shredded chicken is evenly coated
- Place the cilantro pesto chicken in 2-4 washed romaine lettuce leaves
- Add any additional toppings as desired